Sunday, December 7, 2014
Entry #9. Media.
I've taken many sociology and humanities classes, in addition with being in-tuned to representations of minorities within the media, so I was aware of the issues media has. Yet, truly analyzing the media has made me very critical of all forms of it. I hate watching tv shows with commercials as I'm afraid that something the ads show might subconsciously make me buy something or treat my family a certain way. Additionally, I don't like watching the news much anymore. Everything is biased! Since every news outlet is owned by a company, which then can decide what is aired. A great example is in Anchorman 2. The next few sentences contain plot details of the film Anchorman 2, do not read if you do not want to be spoiled.Within the film, Ron, the main character, works for a revolutionary 24-hour news network Global News Network or GNN (hmm... wonder what that sounds like...). GNN is owned by the CEO of Koala Airways. Ron and his news team want to do a segment on plane parts falling out of airplanes while flying. However, Koala Airways has planes that do that. So, the CEO urges the president of the network to pull the segment. I'm sure this is all too common now. No company wants to pay for them to look bad. Therefore, they may pull important information as it may make the company seem bad. It's hard to trust any source now. There's tumblr activists who can and tend to be bias and then there's the news media who definitely are censored. This makes it extremely difficult to find reliable news information. The ethics in broadcast journalism are shot. Even in print, newspapers are owned by companies and those companies can determine what gets sent to print.
Labels:
anchorman 2,
ethics,
media,
news
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment