Sunday, November 2, 2014

Entry #2. LDRs.

Distance sucks. First, if I could just teleport anywhere that would be great. Second, I wouldn't have to work about gas prices (although, they'd probably be some fee for teleportation per miles or something...). But as it stands, distance is something that impacts my day to day life. Why is this? Because currently, I am in a long distance relationship (LDR).

I'm lucky though. I knew going into this relationship it was going to be LDR. She was going off to college, I knew that. However, some people aren't that lucky. Circumstances such as school, work, and family can cause regular relationships to become LDRs. LDRs are hard, and, in my opinion, much harder than ones where the couples can see each other often.

My relationship currently (as of 2am this morning actually) has a 2 hour time difference. That makes planning Skype (a video chat service) dates, phone calls, and other relationship aspects really difficult. Additionally, sometimes remembering the 2 hours is a pain in the butt. For example, if I work from 6pm-10pm, it's 8pm-12am (previously 9pm-1am) her time. Plus, there were some days where I wouldn't be getting done with classes until 820 her time, then I would work at 9 her time (6 my time). Sounds confusing? Trust me, I know.

One of the most important things is communication. My girlfriend can't read my body language or my nonverbal communication to know if something is wrong (unless we're on Skype, but even then), so I have to tell her. Additionally, I have to make sure I let her know when I'm going out with friends and whatnot, so we can both prepare before we Skype, whether that's getting ready for bed, or getting homework done.

Right now, my girlfriend and I are 2,450 miles apart (maybe more she's currently on the subway). She goes to Pace University in downtown New York city, and I live in Glendale, Arizona. We're pretty much across the country from each other. But we make it work. Through texting, phone calls, Skype chats, FaceTime, care packages, and LDR couple apps (there's actually one called Avocado), we make this relationship work.

Me (left) and my girlfriend (right) with the doll I got her before she left
We're cool

No comments:

Post a Comment