Saturday, November 15, 2014

Entry #5. ASU short classes.

Currently, Arizona State University is planning to offer more short classes during the upcoming semester. This means instead of the traditional 15 week course, more classes will be condensed into faster-paced 7 and 1/2 week classes. During the average week more things will be done in a 7 1/2 week course than the 15 week. Personally, I think it's a great idea. ASU believes that it will help student's schedules, which I firmly agree. Having started an English course halfway through the semester, I was able to bring my traditional 15 week classes to high grades without having to worry about the additional course work of an essay heavy class. Plus, the time that I would be in my English class, I used to complete homework for other classes. Students with more options for shorter classes may be able to take more credits within the semester and receive their degree earlier. Also, I believe that some classes would extremely benefit from being able to take the next course within the same semester. For example, English. Some individuals may be able to take English 101 and English 102 within the same semester. This helps them stay with the same concept of writing that is needed. It is difficult when classes can be a year or more apart, as students may forget crucial information. Furthermore, I don't think all classes will ever switch to this format. While there is a huge shift to nontraditional college students, such as online, hybrid, or condensed classes, there will always be the traditional population. Additionally, there will always be classes that need the full 15 weeks to cover necessary concepts. Classes such as General Biology for science majors need all the time they can to cover what it needed for the next course.

However, ASU also argues that financially it will help students as well. Maybe it's different at ASU, but I paid the same for my shorter class as I would have for a traditional 15 week course. Maybe in the long term they make pay less as students pay be able to take more classes in the same semester, but upfront, there seems to be no difference.

2 comments:

  1. I never thought about taking the same courses in the same semester. Wish I would have read this blog 2 years ago with Math. Just get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think is better to have more shorter classes, and they will be more affordable!

    ReplyDelete